Watchdog urges release of journalists detained on Gaza-bound flotilla

CPJ Regional Director Sara Qudah said Israel’s treatment of the journalists “follows years of documented arrests, attacks, and killings of journalists and media workers covering Gaza and attempts to report on it.” (AFP/File)
CPJ Regional Director Sara Qudah said Israel’s treatment of the journalists “follows years of documented arrests, attacks, and killings of journalists and media workers covering Gaza and attempts to report on it.” (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 20 May 2026 15:59
Follow

Watchdog urges release of journalists detained on Gaza-bound flotilla

Watchdog urges release of journalists detained on Gaza-bound flotilla
  • Committee to Protect Journalists said at least seven journalists and media workers were aboard the flotilla
  • Israeli rights group Adalah said Wednesday that activists had been transferred to Ashdod

LONDON: The Committee to Protect Journalists has urged Israeli authorities to immediately release journalists detained aboard the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla.

Israeli forces began intercepting vessels from the flotilla in international waters near Cyprus on Monday, as the convoy attempted to reach Gaza on a humanitarian mission.

Authorities initially transferred those detained to an undisclosed location and have refused to disclose their legal status.

Israeli rights group Adalah said on Wednesday that detained activists had been transferred to the port of Ashdod after initially being held at sea, as international condemnation mounted.

CPJ Regional Director Sara Qudah said Israel’s treatment of the journalists “follows years of documented arrests, attacks, and killings of journalists and media workers covering Gaza and attempts to report on it.

“International law is clear that journalists performing legitimate reporting are civilians and must not be arbitrarily detained or obstructed. Israeli authorities must immediately release all detained journalists and end the cycle of impunity surrounding the attacks on the press,” she added.

The CPJ identified at least seven journalists and media workers aboard the flotilla, including Indonesian reporter Andre Prasetyo Nugroho, whose employer, Tempo Media Group, expressed “deep concern” over the lack of information provided by Israeli authorities.

In an episode that risked triggering a diplomatic fallout, Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir was filmed mocking activists who had been handcuffed, blindfolded and forced to kneel before him, telling them: “Welcome to Israel, we are the masters of the house” and “The people of Israel live.”

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni was among the first to respond, calling Ben-Gvir’s behavior “unacceptable” and “offensive to human dignity,” and demanding a formal apology from the minister.

The Global Sumud Flotilla said 50 vessels have been intercepted since late April while attempting to breach Israel’s siege of Gaza.

In total, 428 participants from over 40 countries have been “kidnapped,” in what the solidarity group and legal experts described as “illegal, high-seas aggression,” roughly 250 nautical miles (460 km) from Gaza.

The group also posted videos it said showed commandos firing at one of the boats.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry denied that live ammunition was used, calling the flotilla a “provocation” aimed at assisting Hamas, the Palestinian armed group that governs Gaza. 

Last month, Israeli forces intercepted 21 boats from the same flotilla off the coast of Crete.

The flotilla departed from Marmaris, Turkiye, on May 14, carrying food, medicine and other humanitarian supplies destined for Gaza.