US aid officials attend meetings in Israeli prison accused of torture, sexual violence

Israeli soldiers gather at the gate to the Sde Teiman military base in July 2024. (AP/File Photo)
Israeli soldiers gather at the gate to the Sde Teiman military base in July 2024. (AP/File Photo)
Short Url
Updated 14 October 2024
Follow

US aid officials attend meetings in Israeli prison accused of torture, sexual violence

US aid officials attend meetings in Israeli prison accused of torture, sexual violence
  • ‘I can’t sleep at night knowing that it’s going on,’ USAID official tells The Guardian
  • Lawyer: ‘The situation there is more horrific than anything we’ve heard about Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo’

LONDON: US aid officials are attending daily meetings at Israel’s Sde Teiman base, where widespread use of torture and sexual violence is employed against Palestinian prisoners, reports allege.

It follows a decision in July to move Israel’s humanitarian relief hub to the desert base, three USAID officials told The Guardian.

Israel consolidated all of its Gaza aid oversight bodies into the Joint Coordination Board, which operates at Sde Teiman and coordinates with the US, UN and various NGOs.

The US has a regular presence at the site as part of its mission to facilitate urgent humanitarian aid to Gaza.

Sde Teiman was chosen by Israel as a holding facility for Palestinian prisoners in the wake of the Oct. 7 Hamas attack.

But extensive reporting by human rights groups, involving eyewitness accounts, has revealed that thousands of Palestinians who passed through the facility were subjected to severe physical and psychological abuse, torture and sexual violence.

Despite this, two USAID officials continue to visit Sde Teiman daily for meetings with Israeli and UN staff as part of the JCB.

A USAID official told The Guardian: “I can’t sleep at night knowing that it’s going on. It’s another form of psychological torture to make someone work there.”

It is unclear whether USAID staff have witnessed the section of Sde Teiman where Palestinian prisoners are detained, with one report saying the JCB operates out of “a handful of makeshift trailers.”

The reports issued by human rights groups on Sde Teiman cite whistleblowers and former prisoners to allege a consistent pattern of brutality by Israeli soldiers at the site.

The violence against Palestinian prisoners includes rape, beatings, electrocutions and force-feeding.

One Israeli doctor who worked at the facility reported that prisoners were “routinely” amputated due to aggressive handcuffing.

Since Oct. 7, about 4,000 Palestinians have passed through the prison, with at least 35 dying, the New York Times reported in May.

Khaled Mahajneh, a lawyer who visited Sde Teiman, told +972 Magazine: “The situation there is more horrific than anything we’ve heard about Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo.”

Israel has claimed that only 24 prisoners remain in the facility, and that a planned new wing would improve conditions.

But Tal Steiner, executive director of the Public Committee Against Torture in Israel, told The Guardian: “We have no indication that the living conditions in the camp have indeed been improved, as our lawyers have still not had access to the camp to assess that.”

One of the most controversial incidents at Sde Teiman took place earlier this year when a Palestinian prisoner was left in critical condition after being gang-raped by 10 Israeli soldiers, who were later investigated.

The decision to launch an investigation led to violent rioting and attacks by Israeli groups in support of the soldiers.

Israel moved its humanitarian oversight body to Sde Teiman from Hatzor airbase north of Gaza.

Weeks before, USAID chief Samantha Power visited the airbase, saying: “I think what’s happening in this room is incredibly important.”

Yet sources told The Guardian that the relocation has been a “closely guarded secret,” with internal communication listing the new site as nearby Beersheva instead of Sde Teiman.

Power, who previously served as US ambassador to the UN and senior adviser to former President Barack Obama, has faced mounting criticism within USAID over her failure to permit more aid to Gaza by way of agreements with Israel.

In March, 76 staffers sent a letter to a USAID bureau condemning the agency’s “silence on the suffering of Gaza.”

In response to The Guardian, USAID claimed that it is “working closely to ensure more effective dialogue between humanitarian partners and the Israeli government to improve the safety, efficiency, and effectiveness of humanitarian movements into and throughout Gaza. Due to security considerations, we do not comment on the specific locations of our staff.”


Israeli airstrike kills Palestinian journalist and family in Khan Yunis, Gaza

Israeli airstrike kills Palestinian journalist and family in Khan Yunis, Gaza
Updated 35 min 3 sec ago
Follow

Israeli airstrike kills Palestinian journalist and family in Khan Yunis, Gaza

Israeli airstrike kills Palestinian journalist and family in Khan Yunis, Gaza
  • Mohammed Saleh Al-Bardawil was a presenter at Al-Aqsa radio station
  • He is the third Palestinian journalist to be killed since Israel resumed its assault on Gaza in mid-March

LONDON: A Palestinian journalist and his entire family were killed early on Tuesday in an Israeli airstrike west of Khan Yunis, in the southern Gaza Strip.

Mohammed Saleh Al-Bardawil, a presenter at Al-Aqsa radio station, was killed with his wife and three children in their apartment in the Emirati neighborhood of Khan Yunis.

On Tuesday, an Israeli military drone struck the Al-Bardawil apartment, according to a report from the Wafa news agency.

He is the third Palestinian journalist to be killed since Israel resumed its attacks on various areas of the Gaza Strip on March 18. The Palestinian Information Center has reported the killing of at least 209 journalists in Gaza since October 2023.

Israel’s renewed attacks on Gaza in March killed at least 1,001 Palestinians and injured 2,359 others, the majority of whom are children and women. The overall death toll in Gaza has reached 50,399 since the Israeli war began on Oct. 7, 2023.


Iraq’s PM, Syria’s president stress ‘new chapter’ in countries’ relationship

Iraq’s PM, Syria’s president stress ‘new chapter’ in countries’ relationship
Updated 01 April 2025
Follow

Iraq’s PM, Syria’s president stress ‘new chapter’ in countries’ relationship

Iraq’s PM, Syria’s president stress ‘new chapter’ in countries’ relationship
  • Iraq welcomed formation of Syria’s transitional government this week
  • Discussions focus on enhancing border security, cooperation against drug smuggling

LONDON: President of the Syrian Arab Republic Ahmad Al-Sharaa stressed the significance of starting a new chapter in his country’s relationship with Iraq during a phone conversation with its Prime Minister Mohammed Shia Al-Sudani.

The two leaders spoke on Tuesday, the final day of Eid Al-Fitr, which marked the end of the fasting month of Ramadan. The parties discussed enhancing bilateral relations between Syria and Iraq while maintaining economic ties, the Syrian Arab News Agency reported.

Al-Sharaa and Al-Sudani stressed the need to begin a new chapter in their countries’ relationship, focusing in the future on collaborative efforts to address regional challenges and prevent tensions, the SANA added.

Discussions also focused on enhancing border security, cooperation against drug smuggling, and coordination to maintain stability.

Iraq welcomed the formation of Syria’s transitional government this week, reiterating its commitment to its neighbor’s security and sovereignty. Al-Sharaa emphasized his respect for Iraq’s sovereignty, pledging non-interference in its domestic affairs, the SANA said.


Amnesty International calls on Hungary to arrest Netanyahu

Amnesty International calls on Hungary to arrest Netanyahu
Updated 01 April 2025
Follow

Amnesty International calls on Hungary to arrest Netanyahu

Amnesty International calls on Hungary to arrest Netanyahu
  • Israeli PM due to fly to International Criminal Court member state this week
  • Visit ‘must not become a bellwether for the future of human rights in Europe’

LONDON: Amnesty International has called on Hungary to arrest Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, following reports that he will visit the EU member state on Wednesday at the invitation of his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orban.

Netanyahu is the subject of an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court in November over Israel’s conduct in Gaza.

Orban, a close ally of Netanyahu, has said he would not enforce the warrant. As a member state, Hungary is required to enforce any arrest warrant issued by the ICC.

Erika Guevara-Rosas, head of global research, advocacy and policy at Amnesty International, said Netanyahu “is an alleged war criminal, who is accused of using starvation as a method of warfare, intentionally attacking civilians and the crimes against humanity of murder, persecution, and other inhumane acts.”

As an ICC member, “Hungary must arrest him if he travels to the country and hand him over to the Court. Any trip he takes to an ICC member state that does not end in his arrest would embolden Israel to commit further crimes against Palestinians in the Occupied Palestinian Territory.

“Netanyahu’s reported visit should be seen as a cynical effort to undermine the ICC and its work, and is an insult to the victims of these crimes who are looking to the Court for justice. Hungary’s invitation shows contempt for international law and confirms that alleged war criminals wanted by the ICC are welcome on the streets of an EU member state.”

Guevara-Rosas said: “Netanyahu’s visit to Hungary must not become a bellwether for the future of human rights in Europe.

“European and global leaders must end their shameful silence and inaction, and call on Hungary to arrest Netanyahu during a visit which would make a mockery of the suffering of Palestinian victims of Israel’s genocide in Gaza, its war crimes in other parts of the Occupied Palestinian Territory and its entrenched system of apartheid against all Palestinians whose rights it controls.

“Amnesty International calls on the ICC Prosecutor to investigate and prosecute all Israel’s crimes.”

Guevara-Rosas added: “Hungary should equally do so by applying universal jurisdiction principles. Powerful leaders, like Netanyahu, accused by the ICC of war crimes and crimes against humanity, must no longer enjoy the prospect of perpetual impunity.”


Health ministry in Gaza says 1,042 killed since Israel resumed strikes

Health ministry in Gaza says 1,042 killed since Israel resumed strikes
Updated 01 April 2025
Follow

Health ministry in Gaza says 1,042 killed since Israel resumed strikes

Health ministry in Gaza says 1,042 killed since Israel resumed strikes
  • After a ceasefire that lasted roughly two months, Israel relaunched its military campaign in Gaza on March 18

GAZA CITY: The health ministry in Gaza said on Tuesday that 1,042 people have been killed in the Palestinian territory since Israel resumed large-scale strikes on March 18.
According to the ministry’s statement, the figure includes 41 people killed in the past 24 hours. It also reported that the overall death toll had reached 50,399 since the war began on October 7, 2023.
After a ceasefire that lasted roughly two months, Israel relaunched its military campaign in Gaza on March 18. Since then, bombardment and new ground assaults that have killed more than 1,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. The ministry’s count does not distinguish between militants and civilians, but it says over half those killed are women and children.


Israeli defense firm Elbit gets $130 million European rocket supply deal

Israeli defense firm Elbit gets $130 million European rocket supply deal
Updated 01 April 2025
Follow

Israeli defense firm Elbit gets $130 million European rocket supply deal

Israeli defense firm Elbit gets $130 million European rocket supply deal
  • Pro-Palestine activists have repeatedly targeted Israeli arms manufacturer Elbit Systems in the UK
  • They accuse the company of supplying weapons used in Israel’s military actions in Gaza and the West Bank

JERUSALEM: Elbit Systems, Israel’s largest defense firm, said on Tuesday it received a $130 million contract to supply advanced rocket munitions to an unnamed European country.
The contract for the Precize and Universal Launching System (PULS), an advanced and versatile artillery rocket system capable of launching a wide range of ammunition types from a single platform, will be performed over three years.
The system, Elbit said, offers precision strike capabilities with a range of up to 300 kilometers.
“As European nations continue to enhance their defense capabilities, the selection of PULS reaffirms its strategic value in modern battlefield scenarios,” said Yehuda Vered, general manager of Elbit Systems Land.
Under the deal, Elbit will supply a variety of advanced rocket systems that are designed to significantly enhance the operational capabilities of the customer’s defense forces.

Pro-Palestine activists have repeatedly targeted Israeli arms manufacturer Elbit Systems in the UK, accusing it of supplying weapons used in Israel’s military actions in Gaza and the West Bank.

The activist group Palestine Action has led these protests, often involving vandalism and direct action against Elbit’s sites. They argue that Elbit profits from war crimes and demand its closure.