Saudi authorities seize multi-million dollar haul of narcotics

Saudi authorities seize multi-million dollar haul of narcotics
1 / 4
Two men were arrested in connection with the haul. (SPA)
Short Url
Updated 24 January 2025
Follow

Saudi authorities seize multi-million dollar haul of narcotics

Saudi authorities seize multi-million dollar haul of narcotics
  • The drugs haul had an estimated street value of between $47 million and $117.5 million
  • Two people were arrested in the Riyadh region

RIYADH: Saudi authorities have seized a massive haul of 4.7 million Captagon tablets with a street value of up to $117.5m, state news agency SPA reported on Tuesday.

Major Marwan Al-Hazmi, spokesperson for the Saudi General Directorate of Narcotics Control, said the tablets were found hidden in a shipment of concrete blocks.

The drugs haul had an estimated street value of between $47 million and $117.5 million, according to research published in the International Addiction Review Journal, based on assumptions that users pay in the range of $10-$25 a pill.

Amphetamines are largely used by young men and teenaged boys across the Middle East, and the money raised through the sale of all narcotics are usually ploughed back into the drug trade while some find their way into organized crime and terrorism.

Two people were arrested in the Riyadh region, according to SPA and have been referred to the Public Prosecution and initial legal procedures have been taken against them.

The authorities have called upon the public to report all information regarding drug smuggling or selling by calling 911 in Makkah, Riyadh, and the Eastern Province, and 999 in the rest of the Kingdom. Alternatively, authorities may be contacted by email at 995@gdnc.gov.sa.

Reports of suspected cases of drug smuggling are treated with strict confidentiality. Financial rewards are offered for information leading to arrests.

 

The Kingdom vs Captagon
Inside Saudi Arabia's war against the drug destroying lives across the Arab world

Enter


keywords

Lebanese, Syrian defense ministers discuss border security during Jeddah meeting

Lebanese, Syrian defense ministers discuss border security during Jeddah meeting
Updated 40 min 11 sec ago
Follow

Lebanese, Syrian defense ministers discuss border security during Jeddah meeting

Lebanese, Syrian defense ministers discuss border security during Jeddah meeting
  • Border tensions between the two countries flared up earlier in March

JEDDAH: The defense ministers of Lebanon and the Syrian Arab Republic met in Jeddah on Thursday, Asharq reported.

The Syrian delegation was headed by Murhaf Abu Qasra and the Lebanese delegation was led by Michel Menassa.

The two ministers discussed enhancing border security and demarcation between both countries.

Border tensions flared up earlier in March after the new authorities in Syria accused Lebanese armed group Hezbollah of kidnapping three soldiers into Lebanon and killing them.

The Iran-backed group, which fought alongside the forces of toppled Syrian president Bashar Assad, denied involvement.

Cross-border clashes that followed left seven Lebanese dead.

In a statement, Saudi Arabia said it supported Syria and Lebanon resolving their differences through political and diplomatic dialogue while upholding sovereignty, stability, and international law, according to Asharq.

The Kingdom also highlighted the importance of security coordination, especially in border control, to address shared challenges such as smuggling and the influence of armed groups.


Kingdom celebrates Saudi Green Initiative

Kingdom celebrates Saudi Green Initiative
Updated 27 March 2025
Follow

Kingdom celebrates Saudi Green Initiative

Kingdom celebrates Saudi Green Initiative
  • Program launched in 2023 to raise environmental awareness, improve well-being
  • Scheme seeks to bind sustainable programs with broader green objectives

RIYADH: Thursday marked the second anniversary of the Saudi Green Initiative, a Kingdom-wide program designed to increase environmental awareness and motivate people to play their part in securing a healthier future for generations to come.

Its goal to bring people together and bolster community engagement is key to raising the quality of life for all citizens and residents and aligns with the sustainable development goals of Saudi Vision 2030.

"The actions we take today will define the environmental legacy we leave behind,” Dr. Khaled Al-Abdulkader, CEO of the National Center for Vegetation Cover Development and Combating Desertification, told Arab News.

He went on to praise the “bold leadership, pioneering strategies, and … unwavering commitment to sustainability” of Saudi Arabia.

The initiative, launched in 2023, seeks to bind sustainable programs with the nation’s broader green objectives, such as reducing toxic emissions, improving afforestation and land restoration, and preserving land and marine ecosystems.

It is also testimony to the leadership’s green vision and drive to position the Kingdom at the forefront of sustainable development on both a local and global scale.

Saudi Arabia’s leading role in protecting the environment was highlighted in December when it hosted the 16th session of the Conference of the Parties of the UN Convention to Combat Desertification, or COP16.

The global gathering provided a platform for policymakers, business leaders and other experts to share ideas and insights on tackling environmental challenges and developing a collective path for green transformation.

At the local level, the Kingdom’s leaders have initiated a number of campaigns to raise awareness of the need for sustainable practices.

Among them is Ramadan of Goodness, which encourages people to minimize food waste and be more aware of their consumption of vital resources like electricity and water during the holy month.

It encompasses more than 85 environmental protection and green development programs, including the rehabilitation of 18,000 hectares of degraded land and the reintroduction of more than 7,500 endangered species through breeding programs.


4,000 itikaf observers from 120 countries provided with 12 key services at Prophet’s Mosque

4,000 Muslims from 120 countries are observing itikaf in 48 designated locations within the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah. (SPA)
4,000 Muslims from 120 countries are observing itikaf in 48 designated locations within the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah. (SPA)
Updated 27 March 2025
Follow

4,000 itikaf observers from 120 countries provided with 12 key services at Prophet’s Mosque

4,000 Muslims from 120 countries are observing itikaf in 48 designated locations within the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah. (SPA)
  • Itikaf is the act of staying in a mosque during the last 10 days of Ramadan in seclusion
  • Services include daily meals, water supply services, multilingual translation, awareness and guidance screens explaining itikaf requirements, and luggage storage lockers

RIYADH: Twelve services are being provided to 4,000 itikaf observers from 120 nationalities in 48 designated locations within the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah, Saudi Press Agency reported on Thursday.

Itikaf is the act of staying in a mosque during the last 10 days of Ramadan in seclusion. The person devotes themselves to worshipping God during what are considered to be the most virtuous ten nights of the year by Muslims, and when rewards are multiplied.

The services include daily meals, water supply services, multilingual translation, awareness and guidance screens explaining itikaf requirements, luggage storage lockers, medical and first aid clinics, sleeping essentials, laundry services, charging stations for mobile devices, and personal care kits. Each itikaf observer has also received a wristband to facilitate entry and exit from the designated itikaf areas.

The General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques has urged itikaf observers to adhere to several requirements throughout this period, including dedicating their time to prayer and other acts of worship, avoiding disturbances during tarawih and night prayers, maintaining tranquility within the Prophet’s Mosque, wearing clean and presentable attire, using pleasant fragrances, and refraining from any behavior that may inconvenience fellow observers.

They are also encouraged to help keep the mosque clean, ensure their belongings are stored in designated lockers, remain within their assigned areas according to their registration number, follow health guidelines, and comply with safety instructions when using movement pathways for entry and exit.

It is prohibited to bring unauthorized food, beverages, or luggage into the itikaf areas, hold study sessions, receive visitors, or bring children to the itikaf sites, the authority said. 


Saudi Arabia issues royal orders

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman. (File/AFP)
Saudi Arabia’s King Salman. (File/AFP)
Updated 27 March 2025
Follow

Saudi Arabia issues royal orders

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman. (File/AFP)

RIYADH: Prince Khalid bin Bandar bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz has been appointed as an advisor at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by royal order, Saudi Press Agency reported on Thursday. 

In another royal decree, Major General Saleh bin Abdulrahman bin Samir Al-Harbi was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General and appointed as Head of the Military Apparatus.


Saudi Ministry of Health provides 65,000 health services for worshippers during Ramadan

Saudi Ministry of Health provides 65,000 health services for worshippers during Ramadan
Updated 27 March 2025
Follow

Saudi Ministry of Health provides 65,000 health services for worshippers during Ramadan

Saudi Ministry of Health provides 65,000 health services for worshippers during Ramadan
  • Medical assistance during first 25 days of holy month includes 52,000 visits to ERs, 10,000 cases of first aid, 3,000 dialysis sessions and 400 surgeries
  • In addition, the Saudi Red Crescent Authority handles more than 46,000 emergency calls in Makkah and Madinah

RIYADH: Thousands of Umrah pilgrims and other visitors to the Two Holy Mosques in Makkah and Madinah have benefited during Ramadan from medical assistance provided by the Saudi Ministry of Health.

The ministry said on Wednesday that more than 65,000 health services were provided for mosque visitors during the first 25 days of the holy month, which will conclude this weekend. The care forms part of the ministry’s commitment to the safety and well-being of visitors to Makkah and Madinah, the Saudi Press Agency reported.

The provided health services included 52,000 visits to emergency departments, 10,000 cases of first aid, 3,000 dialysis sessions, 400 surgeries, and more than 150 cardiac catheterizations.

In addition, the Saudi Red Crescent Authority has handled more 46,000 emergency calls in Makkah and Madinah since the start of Ramadan. Paramedics responded to 31,000 calls in an average of 5 minutes and 48 seconds, and to the remaining 15,000 calls in an average of 5 minutes and 26 seconds.